Google is undoubtedly the most popular search engine, with over 70% of the search market share. Besides Google, there are other search engines that still serve millions of search queries per day. Here are the top search engines in the world.
The search engine is so popular that it’s many times larger than all of the world’s other search engines combined. Furthermore, Google currently holds a whopping 92.18 percent of the worldwide search engine market share.
Bing is the second largest search engine in the world with an 8.04 percent market share. The search engine is owned and operated by Microsoft and has its origins in the previous search engines MSN Search and Windows Live Search.
Meet Baidu, the third-largest search engine with a 7.34 percent market share. This search engine is China’s largest. In fact, Baidu absolutely dominates the Chinese market with 74.73 percent of the market as of February 2019. In comparison, Google has managed to capture only 2 percent of China’s search engine market.
Yahoo! Lands fourth place in the list of the world’s largest search engines with a 3.39 percent share of the global market with over 600 million monthly users on mobile and one billion total users.
DID YOU KNOW? Google founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin tried to sell Google to Yahoo! In 1998 for a measly $1,000,000. Yahoo! Turned them down.
Yandex scores the fifth position on the list of the top 10 search engines with a global market share of 1.53 percent. It’s the most popular search engine in Russia with 55% of total Russian search traffic, closely followed by Google. The search engine is also popular in Ukraine, Belarus, Kazakhstan, Uzbekistan, and Turkey.
Ask is the sixth largest search engine in the world with a 0.72 percent market share – 100 times smaller than Google and 10 times smaller than Bing.
This search engine is all about privacy. These days, there are countless Google privacy concerns. The giant is well-known to track, monitor, and collect reams of data about its users. So, if you feel a little uneasy about your data being harvested and stored, or you don’t like targeted advertising, you might want to give DuckDuckGo a chance. The search engine’s tagline is “Privacy, simplified.”
ALSO READ: Best search engines for privacy
Naver is the eighth most successful search engine in the world with a 0.13 percent market share. This popular Korean search engine holds 75 percent of the market share in South Korea. As a result, it’s often referred to as “The Google of South Korea.
AOL currently holds just 0.06 percent of the world’s search engine market share. The web portal and online service provider based in New York City was one of the early pioneers of the internet in the mid-1990s. It originally provided a dial-up service, web portal, email, and instant messaging.
Last on our list of the top search engines in the world is Seznam. This search engine and web portal is hugely popular in the Czech Republic. In fact, it was the leading search engine there until Google came along. Today, Google holds 84 percent of the Czech Republic’s market share, leaving only 16 percent to Seznam and others.
It might not be one of the most popular search engines in the world, but we feel Ecosia deserves a special mention. This search engine is based in Berlin, Germany, and uses the money from advertising to plant trees around the world to benefit people, the environment, and local economies. This means that just by using the search engine, you can contribute to the environment.